Do you have a mobile application project and want to anticipate the budget you will need? Very good initiative, so you can define your priorities according to the funds you have, or provide concrete information to your investors who will then be better able to understand the budget allocated to each position.
But then, develop an app project how much does it cost?
This question is regularly asked to us, but to be objective and not to answer you between 10 000 € and 120 000 €, it is necessary to have a rather detailed idea of the perimeter of your mobile project (specifications). The cost of your app stems in part from the length of the development cycle. Let’s look at the different elements that will make the price of your mobile application vary.
In addition to the visual aspect of your application; although necessary to attract your target and value your brand; the design of your graphical interface is essential to reconcile the needs of your users and the technical specificities of each OS.
Thus, if you choose a mobile agency, it will undoubtedly offer you the realization of one or more half-day workshops on UX design and design of your graphic. This will allow you to validate the models of the screens and determine the appearance of your app.Reviews with the developers will also be done to evaluate the technical feasibility and avoid backtracking during the development phase.
It will take between 10 and 15 days to make these screens if you already have your graphic identity, a budget between 4500 and 6800 euros , however if you need to create one (eg: mobile startup creation project) , count 20 days or around 9000 euros .
In order for your application to be interactive and operational, you will have to connect it to your information system (via web-services) or to an external data source (via API). You will also need to ensure the security of your data and adapt to the constraints inherent to mobile devices (resolutions, OS versions, etc.).
Depending on the complexity and quality of your web-services, this phase can be time-consuming and cumbersome. Similarly, to avoid having to submit a new version of your app with each change of content (and therefore waste time and money), or for maintenance, it is advisable to use a mobile backoffice . A true Swiss army knife, this one will be at the same time a secure andcomplete middleware to manage your data . Often offered as a license, a mobile backend will reduce the costs and development time of the apps (between 40 and 60% depending on the complexity of the project) and will quickly increase your ROI.
To give you an order of magnitude, we can cut a mobile project according to its complexity:
- The development back of a rather simple application type listing news, detailed or multilingual, will require nearly 10 days (+/- 4500 €)
- The development back of a moderately complex application , integrating for example geolocation, or reservation functions can take between 15 and 20 days (+/- 9000 €)
- The development back of a complex application with a control tunnel, an instantaneous chat or business rules will exceed the25 days (> 11500 €)
Of course these are only examples, it will require a thorough study of your specifications to give you more precise deadlines.
Once the design and webservices are done, it’s time to move to the development phase of the application front. Depending on the technical choices made, deadlines and budgets will be more or less substantial.
Here are the elements to envisage:
- The number of OSs on which you want to offer your app (Android, iOS or Windows Phone).
- The format (portrait, landscape, if you choose both that can increase the bill.
- The technology used (native development, crossplateform development, hybrid development). Namely that a native application will always be longer to develop so more expensive than a webapp, because developed tailor-made for the OS and more qualitative.
- And of course, the complexity and the number of features of your app (hence the importance of listing them)
At Nomeo, we evaluate at least a quality frontend development at 15 days per platform , which can go beyond 40 days for a complex business app project , or a social network for example.
The recipe phase is essential to ensure the final quality of your app and its good compliance with the specifications developed.Realized by the project team, it will be a question of checking that your application is performing on all the OS and versions of smartphones of your future users. For that, not the choice, it is necessary to multiply the tests to detect the malfunctions and bugs (because there will necessarily). Count in time and budget on average 15-20% of the number of development days.